Sunday, May 10, 2015

Honoring a Very Special Mother

The title of this post on Mother's Day may lead you to believe that I am honoring my Mother.  While my Mother could be titled the best mother of all time, I hope that I honor her every day.  This post is dedicated to my mother's cousin and she holds a very special place in my heart.  She recently became the grandmother to the most beautiful twin boys.  After that joyous event, she was diagnosed with primary peritoneal cancer.  Things have moved quickly, she just had surgery to remove what they could and will begin chemo this week.  I am praying that she will have many years to come to spend with those beautiful babies and grace the rest of us with the joy she brings.  This card is for her.

I am playing along with 2 challenges today.  The challenge at Simon Says Wednesday Challenge is "Lets Get Sentimental" and requests that Tim Holtz products be included.  The second challenge is a fabulous sketch at TGIF Challenges.

  

The banner on the card was created by direct stamping a Versamark pad over the Tim Holtz Lace stencil.  I randomly sprinkled Tim Holtz Broken China and Dried Marigold distress embossing powder and a few sprinkle of Adirondack Espresso embossing powder.  I heat set and then slightly distressed the cooled embossing powder.  The main panel is Stampin Up Pool Party card stock in which I direct stamped a Stampin Up Illuminate pad over the Tim Holtz Lace stencil to subtly mimic the design on the banner.  The main panel and banner were matted with Stampin Up Early Espresso card stock.  The sentiment is from Stampin Up Best of Greetings and was stamped on Pool Party and embossed with the Espresso embossing powder.  The sentiment was layered on a piece of peach card stock from my stash which was cut with the Labels Collection Framelits from Stampin Up.  I ran an Early Espresso marker around the edge to make it stand out a bit more.  My final embellishment was a knotted and flagged piece of Stampin Up Early Espresso Quilted Satin ribbon.


Here is a close up of the sentiment and the texture on the banner piece.  I love the juxtaposition of the rough distress embossing with the floral image of the stencil.


Happy Stamping,
Dana

10 comments:

  1. Love the stenciled banner. Prayers for your mothers cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers Holly!

      Delete
  2. A lovely card, the board on each of the layers looks so effective and a wonderful idea with the knot in the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words Teneale!

      Delete
  3. fabulous card, so luv your choice of colors! so glad you played along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teresa! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Dana, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's cousin and this huge hurdle she has at a time when everything should be only smiles and joy over the babies. I will add her to my prayers. Your beautiful card and loving words will bring her comfort. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Darnell for your prayers, we are doing a lot of that around here and appreciate all the help we can get!

      Delete
  5. This is a very sweet card. Thanks for joining us at TGIF.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I love reading your feedback!