Sunday, October 4, 2015

I Hit the Brick Wall

When I saw the challenge at Stamp Ink Paper was Card Maker's Choice, I immediately knew I wanted to use my brick wall embossing folder.  I was so excited to get this as it was on back order for quite a while and I had visions of all the wonderful cards I could make with it.  I pulled it out and just stared at it, what happened to all of the fabulous ideas???  At one point I entertained the idea of a freight train blasting through the bricks with scattered brick debris and everything.  I thought it could be pretty cool if I could pull it off.  I stamped the train and the scale was all off, just one of these bricks would crush the train.

I imagined a new path where some of the bricks would appear to have fallen off the wall but the overall plan was still pretty sketchy.  I decided to just dive in with the coloring of the bricks.  I inked up the embossing folder with Sahara Sand and also used Sahara Sand card stock.  I sponged on a number of colors in an attempt to mimic a brick wall.  I cut away some of the bricks and mounted the embossed piece to some more Sahara Sand stamped with speckles to look like concrete.  I added a few brick pieces back in.  Now what?  I needed a masculine birthday card so I selected a birthday sentiment I thought was in keeping with the brick. I still needed some type of image or embellishment.  I looked through my stamp images of tools but nothing seemed right.  I did consider a hammer image as I thought it could be a bit like the old "Don't Break the Ice" game with the missing bricks.  Does anyone else remember that game?  Then I remembered a little die of a garden hand shovel and thought it looked a bit like some of Glen's concrete tools.  It was cut with some silver foil paper and a bit of Soft Suede for the handle.  Whew, finally done and the card is growing on me.





Happy Stamping,
Dana

8 comments:

  1. Wow !!! this looks so realistic!
    Great job Dana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannelie! It was so much fun coloring the bricks, just need to figure out what to do with it after that. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your card Dana. You've done a really great job with the wall and the little trowel looks lovely. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, thank you so much for stopping in and your sweet comments!

      Delete
  3. Very clever design here. I love how you've coloured the bricks. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Stamp Ink Paper. Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn, I'm so glad you stopped in and I love feedback!

      Delete
  4. You clever, clever lady!!! This is such a great idea! This is exactly what being creative (and resourceful) is all about! Adore the colors you chose and I LOVE the few missing bricks!

    "Don't Break The Ice" ... had a blast playing that game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geri! Isn't desperation a great motivator? I'm so glad to hear someone else remembers that game. Strange how my mind wanders in the creative process. I may have noticed that fact but now that I'm documenting the design process it really stands out.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. I love reading your feedback!